A Note for Pondering: Archers in Caves


Along with wargaming (and more oft indulged, due to my friends’ interests), I also enjoy role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons. I even wrote my own fantasy heartbreaker that I’m pretty proud of. However, today the thought popped into my head that a longbow or large crossbow would be very difficult to spelunk with, crank/draw, and aim in tight quarters with low light (which are common in the fantasy dungeons we hold so dear).

Obviously, it is dangerous to overthink the “reality” or “logic” of a game that involves battling flesh-eating ghouls, floating eye-sockets, and man-eating treasure chests. But perhaps, to the chagrin of a friend who loves to loose arrows and, too often, shoot me in the back, bows should be left above ground? It could certainly make combat in the tunnels easier from a mechanical standpoint.

Comments

  1. Perhaps a light latch crossbow would be fine underground as it would not require the adventurer to stop and use a windlass to wind the string back. As for bows, I’m having a think...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment