Rules and Credit

In my last post, I made reference to my pocket rules and inspirations for them. Here’s a couple of links to the inspiration.

The Tradgardland Tin Rules:

https://tradgardland.blogspot.com/2020/05/rules-etc.html?m=1

Jon Peterson’s Discussion on the Development of Man-To-Man Combat in Chainmail:

http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2018/07/to-hit-rolls-in-individual-medieval.html?m=1

Here’s a photo of my rules—they’re even laminated! It’s necessary when you have kids. Waterproofing, you know.


They’re simple and fun, perfect for a quick game. I must admit, the “Leaders/Paladins” note was made for fantasy games, but I’ve found I haven’t used them at all...yet?

Also, in the last game I used old wound markers from the Heroscape board game as possible encounters, like blips on a radar. I placed them randomly with the help of dice. When my troops got within two rows of squares before a row with a blip, I rolled a d6 (my encounter die) for all blips on that row. On a 1, it means that enemies are encountered around that spot. I then re-roll to see how many enemies are encountered.


My encounter die. The one is represented by a dragon...


Which was appropriate in this adventure, where a dragon was actually encountered!

Overall, the encounter system is simple and has worked well. I’m hoping my next posts will show progress on painting some more troops, flocking the bases of those already painted, and some more terrain. I’m currently working on procuring a bridge.

Comments

  1. Great idea to laminate your rules and I do like the encounter idea. I am pleased my rules were of interest and inspiration to you. Btw have you thought of adding a follower app/button so people can be informed of your latest post ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment