Chitson’s Chivalry

 Plastic Warrior Magazine publishes a set of rules for 54mm Knights titled Chitson’s Chivalry. I inquired to Paul, the editor, and he was prompt and most helpful with getting me a copy.


The cover art is absolutely wonderful. It draws you in with a scene of good ol’ fashioned violence. Inside, you find a set of rules that are well organized and fairly in-depth. They are highly accessible, and you could play them with a kid. While the movement and gridded board are reminiscent of a board game, the combat matrixes are layered and nuanced (in some ways more simply and effectively than expensive game systems). Chitson’s Chivalry also has a “retreat” function, and rules for horses being slain and knights being brought down. Overall, the rules are well-written, violent (like a wave hitting a sea-wall. I saw a mounted knight get his horse shot out from under him, and then get shot himself), and accessible. The only adaptations I would make, and will make, is following the “Stage Two Rules for Advanced Players”, and increasing movement speeds for figures. I can’t wait to play these again.

Comments

  1. A great purchase. I really enjoy gaming with these rules. I think they deserve a much wider audience. I look forward to seeing a battle report...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love how you can tell the author had a love for wargaming and (more importantly) fun. I'm trying to figure out how to add a subscribe button, as blogger has informed me that the "follow" feature is being discontinued? I'm also new to this!

      Delete
  2. Great to see that you have a follower button now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would it be possible to post Chitson’s Chivalry rules? I am a big fan of grid based medieval wargaming, I do it in a large scale with 3.5" Papo knights
    Thanks --Ken

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment