Rule Changes and Additions

 In the last game, I used my pocket rules, but I used an updated version. After playing with a friend, we agreed what I had already suspected: a single move phase and a single missile phase are preferable to split phases. So instead of an A-B-B-A pattern, I have converted them to simultaneous move and simultaneous missile phases just like melee. Initiative might still be useful for movement, if only to mitigate arguments if two players want to move to the same point. Below are a picture of the updated pocket rules:

They are much neater than my laminated set, though less sturdy.

In the last game, I also introduced characters and their related Character traits. These will come out in the after action reports a bit more later, but Reginald and Felstadt each have their own unique trait that affects them in the game. These were chosen from the list below via die roll:

  1. Nimble: +1 Move on Foot
  2. Wrathful: +1 to Melee rolls. Will not fall back or leave melee once engaged, even if outnumbered or failed morale.
  3. Coward: -1 to Melee and Morale rolls.
  4. Drunk: -1 Mounted Move. +1 to Morale rolls.
  5.  Jammy: +1 to Wound roll if hit.
  6. Dashing Swordsman/Deadeye: +1 to Melee/Missile rolls (one or the other,  not both).
  7. Equestrian: +1 Mounted Move.
  8. Old: -1 Move on Foot. -1 to wound roll if hit.
I also chose to try different tiers of unit, two of named characters, and one of unnamed troops. I included a point cost to allow choice of who or what players want to bring into a battle. I think a good starting point value is 10 points for a force. I’m still working on whether or not I want to randomize the amount of wounding hits a character can take, or if 3 is too many for a hero. Here’s a simple chart:
  1. Hero: 1d3(3) Hits, 1 Trait (5pts).
  2. Characters: 1d2(2) Hits, 1Trait (3 pts).
  3. Grunt: 1 Hit (1pt).
Sir Reginald II is a hero, and Felstadt is a character. I rolled up that Reginald has an unfortunate drinking habit, and Felstadt is a Dashing Swordsman—too bad for him that didn’t show in the game!


The Character sheet, part of an index card...

Having traits makes for a more interesting game, as it allows for a bit more variety and even a little role-playing, perhaps?

Comments

  1. The character traits are an excellent idea and you have come up with some very interesting ones which add flavour to your games. I look forward to seeing how the rules changes go ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, not sure why that happened but every time I paged back I got the same page with an extra comment added!?

    ReplyDelete

  6. An old chap is nobbled by age! How about a +1 to Morale because age brings wilyness and a stronger desire to die in bed?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment