The First Figure

 We’ve been sorting and slimming our possessions, and in the dusty shuffle I found a small box that looked as if it contained some special artifact. According to its note, the box held the first figure I ever painted!


I was excited because I had completely forgotten what it was. I remember that I started painting toy army men before moving to “real” miniatures, but I couldn’t remember exactly “who” I had painted from my sea of plastic and intermittent metal. I opened the box, first pensively, then like a child on Christmas morning…


To reveal a classic figure armed with a Sten and a pair of binoculars, painted up to resemble a medic! Not bad for a 13 year-old with a few bottles of Testors, if a little historically questionable.

Comments

  1. A lovely find for you. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Looks much better than the first figures I ever painted but that didn't stop me and I eventually got better at it. I'm still learning and improving my technique, but it's given me a lifetime of pleasure. I hope it will do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment