Tis the Season

 It’s Christmas time, and below is a link to a song that has brought me to my knees for a few years now.

How Many Kings by Down Here

 I really love this song, and this time of year. The Christmas season is full of old hymns with deep theological lessons. Here in the United States, we are very much focused on independence and freedom; our country was founded with the goal to eschew ourselves of monarchy in favor of a constitutional republic. Equity of all men, and what not. Freedom from tyrants and unjust governance. Often, however, we in the States tend to perceive tyranny as anyone being in power above is.

All that is to say, in the modern American Church, especially evangelical Protestant denominations like my own, we tend to focus on Christ as our Savior, but not as our King. We tend to be joyful in the freedom but struggle in the following part of our faith. So I really appreciate Christmas because most of the songs focus on the Kingship of Christ. It’s all about the King who came in the form of a slave to rescue us and reclaim our hearts. A King we a called to follow and become more like. It’s humbling to receive royal orders to put others first (even if it makes me uncomfortable, or worse). And it’s very encouraging to have a Lord and Master one can trust.

I’ve gotten the opportunity to take a few long drives by myself, as well as some time to paint and ponder, so I’ve been allowed to process some thoughts. I also found a very interesting read on medieval life that put aspects of medieval faith and equity into perspective. More hobby related things to follow! Sneak peak below:

Foreground: Decade old Imperial Guardsmen (Games Workshop) that are getting a repaint as I write.
Background: A dollar-store chapel I have repainted from a more early modern look to a medieval one!

Thanks if you read my thoughts!

Comments

  1. All to often we modern folk tend to forget the role of religion in ancient and medieval life, and our understanding suffers for it. I try to incorporate these themes in my games, both wargaming and RPG's. Its good to see someone else thinking along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good point made Mark and one I think is true. I will be interested to read more of what you have been reading regarding the Middle Ages B&B. I listened to the song, it was new to me. Thank you for letting us know about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment