Small Tester with Unique Dice

Today, after a very, very, long week, I played a game. I wanted to test out some neat dice that came with a small Star Wars game years ago. I wanted to keep it simple, so terrain was minimal. I based the field off of a couple of posts I’ve seen that felt easy and fun (here and here). 

I gave the attackers 3d6 turns (which ended up being 12) to capture and hold the old watchtower and the center of town (represented by the old tower and the crossroads).

I treated each figure as representing a unit of that type, after the fashion of Fantasy General (an old PC game that I love). By the third or fourth turn, the invaders’ heavy cavalry had been destroyed, as had most of the first line of defense. But activation was slow for the attackers, so the defenders moved reinforcements up to stall as long as possible.

An anticlimactic photo showing the end of the game. With 3 turns left, the final crossbow unit from the first second defense line recaptured the tower from the lone invader longbowman.

It was more fun to play than photograph. For those wondering about the previously mentioned week, our family car was destroyed by someone running a stop sign, then I got bedridden with a fever that we later found out to be a stomach bug when the toddler got sick. Then I was caring for a sick wife and toddler. Oh, and to top it off, two remote job interviews (one while sick in bed)!Thankfully, no one was injured in the car accident, insurance has been easy to deal with since I was in no way at fault, and I landed a new job.

Haven’t felt like painting much or the small ordeal of cleaning up after myself if I set up a large game. So this small minimal field was the right stuff. The dice have two sides that have a shield, two with a blast mark, one with two blast marks, and one marked “special”. The most complex part of the game was my little card detailing what happened if the special face was rolled. I’ll keep playing around with these in the future.

Comments

  1. Glad everything worked out OK. I'm very interested in how you are using those dice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A challenging week.
    When a game's going well it's so easy to forget to record it. Like Mark, I'm interested to see how the rules work for the dice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting , fun game and I too am intrigued by your dice …

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment