List of Inspiration for my next Project

 This post is more of a bookkeeping measure for myself to keep track of my next project. The prime setting will be 15mm medievals, I may expand in the future to have 15mm Pike and Shot or Napoleonic even.

Village Houses: I’ll be attempting to make wooden block scenery with some old blocks I’ve had lying around, to be usable in multiple settings.

Wattle And Daub at Lieutenant’s Diary

1000 Foot General Dark Age Buildings

Wooden Block Highland Buildings

Saxon Buildings and Bridges (also wooden block)

Fortified Farm

Style and Inspiration:

Midsummer mayhem in Tradgardland I love the aesthetic, and this was one post that got me into solo gaming. Those hills have partially inspired my scenery for this project, and the figures in the post are so lovely to look at! If only I could see Charles Grant’s “Suggestions for a Medieval Wargame”. My gaming experience is heavily dominated by American influences (i.e. Gygax and Arneson, Harry Dowdall, et al.)

Baron Benevolence and his Retinue, recently completed and similar to the above. Also using Military Modelling Annual for inspiration!

Battling Through OHW Maudlin Jack Tar has some very simple and clean boards to play his games on with simple and adaptable terrain. There’s also a very neo-retro feel, to paraphrase Mark Copplestone.

Have you Herd? MJT’s game from a couple of years ago hits the right marks for the type of game as well.

Possible Figure Requistioning:

Scale Creep Miniatures (USA): fun and fine sculpts of various historical and fantastical figures.

Khurasan Miniatures (USA): I am in love with their Frankish/Lombard line of miniatures, as well as their GoR fantasy line.

Rules and Assistance

Chainmail QRS: I’m considering using Chainmail for rules, and this will be helpful with large battles.

One Hour Wargames is another set I’m looking at purchasing. I’ve seen good reviews and play-throughs of it.

Argad! Free skirmish rules with a role playing focus, these battle reports from Brittany were very inspirational when I first started in wargaming. The rules are simple and great too, I’m going to probably try them out in this endeavor.

Of course, there is also Chitson’s Chivalry that may make an appearance!

As an aside, this came in the mail today, a gift from my wife. It’s a set of house rules for running an rpg campaign similar to the original 1974 edition of Dungeons and Dragons. I look forward to reading it this weekend!

Comments

  1. Looking forward to seeing the project and thanks for your kind words about my efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent list, and Khurasan figures are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I believe my next birthday wish is going to be some of their fantasy figures.

      Delete

Post a Comment