Ruined Block Buildings!!!

I’ve been playing a lot of Mordheim on my PlayStation when tabletop gaming is not an option. I love the game, and I’m very interested in similar games, like Frostgrave, that have great campaign systems and lots of ruins to explore. I’ve even looked at Forbidden Psalm, but it just seems a little too much for me. So I decided to make some terrain for my 15mm figures that goes with the theme!

I accidentally pressed a little too hard with the hobby knife and snapped a piece of wood that was supposed to have a window, but it worked out! It ended up forming the blown out wall of a section blasted by magic (or an explosion).

Base roof layers applied to the building.

The main roof finished.

Roofing completed on all buildings!

The first phases of painting, and adding some “wattle” to my “daub”.

I felt very ambitious trying to build this collapsed section well, especially since I only chose to do it because I accidentally broke the wall while I was cutting out a window!

The finished products! Given that these are ruined buildings for 15mm Frostgrave/Mordheim style games, I added some graffiti as well.

The second side.

The third side. This offers a “frontal” view of the destroyed wall on the largest house.

The final side. The notable light colored hole in the roof of the center building will at some point be loaded with an eldritch tentacle reaching skyward.

I’m elated with how they turned out. It’s a massive confidence booster, as I never thought I’d be able to make terrain like this. They’re detailed enough for 15mm, and will probably be usable with my 1/72’s!

For the graffiti, I went with German words and Futhark runes, as well some good old fashion doodling. I do hope I got the language correct, as I am solely fluent in English. My critiques of myself are that I may need to add cobbling to the layer of stone on the second building, and the I missed the upper cross beams on the same. But I’ll be working on that building again, so it’s fine.

Comments

  1. These are impressive! Well done! I am tempted to try this with the teens at work as a craft project. How much did you pay for the materials?

    I played the original Necromunda once upon a time, but have not tried the videogame versions. I have heard interesting things about Tanzanica, a colonial variant of Mordheim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The blocks were throwaways that my wife bought for ~$5 a pack to hold the kids markers in years ago (it didn’t work out, too many writing utensils end up either scattered elsewhere or point-up), the wooden squares I used for shingles and framing were $2.99 a bag at Hobby Lobby, and paint and glue were already on hand. I bought square pieces of wood for basing, but then ended up splitting a lot of them up into narrow boards as seen above. Mordheim the video game is fun but time consuming, and I have to admit the computer’s “dice rolling” always conveniently gives the bot player an extra opportunity to make a comeback. Nothing like “rolling” a 100 on a 99% chance, half the time…

      Delete
  2. Nice work sir. They look big enough for 1/72nd too. A picture with a couple of figures in would give us a better idea. I like the roof tiles, very Warhammeresque!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll post some with both 15 and 1/72 soon! Thanks! I was going for a classic Mordheim look with them. I’m not a fan of the Warhammer price, but that aesthetic is what made it famous!

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. Your collection continues to grow. Looking forward to your next project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding ways to expand the use of 15mm miniatures has sure been fun, and trying to make every piece of my terrain usable in multiple settings has been challenging but worth it. I’m trying not to deviate too far with this sub-project, but boy is it fun! And isn’t that what this is about?

      Delete
    2. Yes! If it isn't fun, why do it?

      Delete
  4. As a german native speaker i hereby state, that the above graffiti are fully understandable and quite fitting ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment