A Mercenary Mind

 I found an interesting article while researching terms for mercenaries in the Middle Ages:

Mercenaries During the Middle Ages

The end of the article really caught my attention, with the idea that the answer to the increasing instability of roving mercenary bands and very expensive prolonged wars was the modern state and standing armies. It conjured images in my mind of the end of the Old West, where gunfighters became fewer and laws become greater. I wonder if there’s a lot of talk on the subject, and how well the idea could translate into a setting for a game:

 A fictional late 17th/early 18th century, where the concept of the modern army is starting to be applied, and kings and lords are beginning to crack down on Free Companies. Mercenary bands find themselves being hunted by “government troops”, pikes are falling into disuse, and once beloved captains are going straight and accepting jobs where they can as official military officers. Think of the drama that could ensue! Highwaymen, fusillades, betrayals!!! 

I guess it’s essentially the same idea as most pirate games, but on land. I think it’s a fun idea though.

I’m other news, here’s one of the three main projects I’m on right now, ever since Librarian Gamer sparked an idea in a comment on one of my last posts.

I already posted one of these images on my Instagram, but I’m posting them here too. I’m working on a set of rules and this small board as a proof-of-concept for a “TV Dinner” game. Small space (around 5” x 8” or similar), low footprint (in terms of setup, dice and figures), fast play. The rules are ready to play test, but the board is not.

I say “TV dinner” because I liked the idea of actually being able to game in the space of a frozen single-serve dinner! 

Comments

  1. Looking forward to reading more of the TV dinner game. A great start to the project.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting ideas. Looking forward to seeing how you develop them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Definitely interested in seeing where this goes - both the game and your thoughts on mercenaries. I have tried 40K in miniature (using Epic minis on magnetic boards) but skirmish works too, and the scenery you're building is impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment