A Project Completed!


My MinceHeim tray is done! Here we see two bands preparing to engage in a turf war. You’ve gotta make sure those other war bands stay on their side of the sewage canal, after all! 

The size of the board is 5” x 8”. This is definitely more of a “proof of concept” as I’ve said before; I used what I had on hand. For example, what became the sewer was a sort of track in the lid of the lunch box I used, and proved far too difficult to remove. If I make another one of these in the future, I will be using a flat surface and any water features will be removable, for more versatility. Using a lunchbox proved very useful, however, as seen below.

The box, sealed. Unassuming and small enough to fit in any drawer, closet, or backpack.

Inside, we find the board, 2 warbands, terrain, a mint tin (containing a 2” measuring rod plus dice and markers for wounds, reloading, and aiming), the MinceHeim rules (folded), and a hand-crocheted dice tray (so the kids don’t wake up when I play with my toys at night!). I really must brag about the dice tray, my wife made it for me in all of 2 minutes. The woman could put any professional crafter to shame and yet remains as humble as someone with no knack for it.

All the insides outside, setup for a game.

Some more views of the battlefield. Below are some close ups of a few terrain pieces I really like:

No medieval fantasy apocalypse is complete without a witch’s pyre. Pretty solid for a twist-tie, some random wood bits and some paint, if I dare toot my own horn.

A barricade bearing a fallen lord’s heraldry. Could it be that this was near his manor, and in the wake of the disaster he desperately tried to hold his little kingdom of ashes and sand?

I used some of the archer stakes from my Perry HYW set to make this nice and muddy palisade, and I just like looking at it.

I’ve posted a PDF of the MinceHeim rules, as well as “MincePie” which is just some modifications that make playing quick little mass battles (on a larger play area, of course) in the setting possible. They’ve got their own page over on the right hand side—or if you’re on mobile, they’re right there if you tap on those three bars in the right hand corner.

Comments

  1. I love it! Just got some small, basic hills that will work well with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has come together, both literally and also as an idea, splendidly. I do like the crochet dice tray, it looks great!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, it was well worth it, if only for the satisfaction of the work!

      Delete

Post a Comment