Battle for a Square

 

I played a battle a couple weeks ago using the Minceheim rules to test it out with mass combat in mind. It worked out pretty well and made for a fun game. Honestly, it was mostly laziness that caused it, as the sheet of paper was already in front of me and I didn’t want to get out a lot more.

The north side of the field found a horde of peasants supported by knights, as well as a crossbows, bills, and mounted sergeants surrounding their commander. The south side found foot knights with pole arms and mounted knights; with their commander boasting two units of archers, retinue spears, and a small group of foot knights. 

Technically, the southern force had one more unit, but the northern force had an extra large unit of peasants, so it evened out. The goal of both forces was to control the monument at the heart of the square.

North party (hereafter referred to as the Blues, after their commander) got the initiative and moved first.

The Blue billmen initially took the square; but at this point, the Blue right flank had been all but destroyed and was heavily engaged with the Red retinue (Redinue?) spears. So the bills had to bear the brunt of a frontal assault by the Red foot knights!

The Reds eventually overrun the monument at the heart of square. Both sides have sustained heavy losses, but the defeat of the Blue commander at the monument causes all but the battered knights to turn tail and run. The Reds are victorious!

A view from the streets of Minceheim, where the Red commander orders his men to drive the remaining enemies out of the square and secure the surrounding buildings.

I’ll probably type up the large scale combat notes for Minceheim and upload them soon, but I just wanted to post something to stay active. I kind of froze up, waiting to post until I had progress on my Minceheim tray, but it ruined my flow! My next post will have the completed tray, but I wanted to show off my 15’s in action again, because they’re so fun to play with and I love seeing them arrayed for battle.

Comments