Christmastide Musings

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas season!

Just a quick musing about Christmas, then I’ll return to your regularly scheduled slew of paint and super glue.

On Christian radio over here in the U.S., there are a lot of very popular songs right now that have to do with the perspective of those involved in the Advent, mainly Mary, Joseph, and the Innkeeper.

The songs about the innkeeper all have a tone of “what would I do in that situation?” What would I do if the Savior of the world was about to be born and his pregnant mother was in labor on my doorstep? Would I also turn them away? Would I be so heartless?

But…that’s not what the Bible says at all. It simply says: “And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.” - ‭‭Luke‬ ‭2:6-7‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“No place” may also be translated as “no room” or “no guest room”. That seems more like necessity than malice. My wife suggested that maybe the innkeeper already had people sleeping on the kitchen floors, maybe he was a genuinely caring innkeeper? Perhaps it was the innkeeper who secured them a resting place amongst the animals?

Finally, the innkeeper isn’t even mentioned in the Scripture! We focus so much on a man who gruffly brushes off a young couple in his hurry that we miss the point: The Messiah was born in a stable like a sacrificial lamb. Moreover, He, the Bread of Life, was laid in a manger, a feeding trough, that the world may eat and drink of Him and have eternal life. Thank God there was no room at the inn.

The other song that really got to me was one about Mary, suggesting that there was doubt in her mind that her baby was the Savior; or that she, a simple Jewish girl, should bear forth the Messiah. And friends, I don’t know if she did or not, but it got me thinking. I think all those “how can this be happening” thoughts came at the Cross. Imagine a mom, watching her baby all grown up and living up to what was foretold about Him, and now He’s hanging from a torture device for committing no crime at all.

Mary may have known that her baby boy would save the world. But I doubt even she knew exactly how, because what mother could go through with that? It fills me with awe, and heartbreak, and love for God to think about. Because He is our Savior, but He was her baby.

And even on the cross, our Savior was still her Son: “When Jesus then saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He *said to His mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then He *said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” From that hour the disciple took her into his own household.”‭ John‬ ‭19:26-27‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

That’s all I’ve got, just some ways God has been wrecking my perception of Christmas and His story. Peace, love and joy to you and your families in the new year. I love getting to do this hobby with you all, and I can’t wait to see what we all make of 2023!!!

Comments

  1. All the very best to you and yours for the coming year!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy holidays, and thanks for the ways you've made my year brighter. Will be trying out your rules in the New Year.

      Delete

Post a Comment