Birthday Battle!

 My family got me Frostgrave AND Rangers of Shadow Deep for my birthday, along with a enough metal figures to form a wizard and his band.

Frostgrave with my unpainted Wizard and Aprrentice. Both are Mirliton SG, but they’re titled Grenadier, so I think they’re old casts? They’re beutiful sculpts that took the paint and made it their own.


My daughter and I spent all weekend painting minis for the game. She bought herself a warband of ladies and a Wizard with an apprentice. I made a Perry archer and told her “you’re going to need at least one archer”. She accepted him into the fold despite his male-ness. 9 year olds!

I mostly painted up creatures for the random encounters, but I was able to paint my wizard, his apprentice, and this Hussite hand gunner that came with them! These are also some amazing figures that came from Scale Creep here in the USA, not sure what brand, but I’ll look into it if anyone wants to know.

My wizard. I definitely went for a Gandalf inspired theme and I’m proud of it.

Our actual game. No scenario, 2’ x 2’ table to keep it small while we learn, 6 treasure tokens. We split the terrain evenly (other than the WIP centerpiece) and set up our warbands.

The eldest’s warband moved up to the first treasure token (the mystical Blue Bunny) as a dedicated clump, while her ranger went long to the side to grab and haul a pile of gold off table. She realized his usefulness when she noticed he was the fastest of her group.

My wizard went left with his animal companion and knight to secure a treasure token.

My Marksman, appropriately named Jan (It’s pronounced YON! Haha!) in Bohemian fashion, took up a treasure token and placed himself strategically to shoot at my daughter’s forces.

That’s all the pics I’ve got. Marksmen are very powerful against lower armor/fight stat troops. Jan took out my daughter’s apprentice, which sent her into a panic. Her wizard killed my snow leopard.

At the end of the game, my daughter’s apprentice survived their wounds and made a full recovery. My leopard did not. We then had to move on to experience and level gain, treasure counting, and base of operations establishing! The campaign rules are very fun!

I chose the laboratory as my warband’s base, while she chose the “Brewry” for the steady stream of income! She doesn’t even know that the gold comes from having a bootleg alcohol business on the side, which is the funniest part. 

This post has gotten long, so I’ll post more in the next post about our second game. I’ve also been working on a Turnip28 army that I’m so excited to share with everyone!

Comments

  1. A happy birthday indeed! Great looking figures, time with your daughter and game too. The old school figures are full of charm and Jan ( my late wife was known as Jan, short for Janice, and on one occasion when dealing with Dutch folk through work her correspondent though she was a man whilst they were corresponding via letters) have painted up really successfully indeed. I look forward to following your turnip figures too.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s actually a major reason why I clarified! Many people here in the States get my wife’s name mixed up when corresponding remotely. They don’t often hear Colleen, so they think she’s a very polite man named “Colin” until they talk to her on the phone or meet her in-person! I do need to post those Turnip28 photos on here, especially with the army on muddy parade.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was quite happy with my classic casts, and she painted her modern figures up really well. The child paints as well as I did as a teen, and she’s only painted figures twice in her whole life!

      Delete

Post a Comment