Rocket men, burning up their fuel in Silicone…

For my birthday, I received a mold making kit for casting, and today I bought resin. My whole life, I’ve wanted to make my own toys, and while I’m learning to sculpt, I’m also kitbashing and learning to resin cast.

While I was taking my least favorite parts off of some of my favorite toy soldiers and lamenting the fact that I would never be able to repair my brother’s old Messerschmitt model (an aircraft he built when I was around 4, and have saved in a box to fix up as I adored it), I realized I could mix these bits to make what might be a really neat figure. I present, the prototype of my Royal Rocket Marines.

Heavily inspired by the Rocketeer, which I had to have watched in my childhood, and believed to be an old 1940’s or 50’s comic book at its source, my rocket soldiers have clunky, seemingly oversized helmets, and a giant rocket pack on their backs. Or at least they will, if I cast them right.

A view of the rifle side of the figure. Can you see why this body was one of my favorites as a child? All action, yet perfectly usable in any situation. I dreamed of having an army of them; but alas, I only had a handful in green and tan, with the rest of the bag taken up by necessary and honorable bazooka men and binocular/wielding spotters. 

Next to a tape measure.

Compared to a Perry kitbash on the left and my Mirliton knight on the right.

I’m happy that I’ll get to make a better use of the head than it was on its original bearer (a plastic knight who would’ve looked better with a more extravagant or less extravagant helmet). I also like using one of the Messerschmitt’s bombs as a rocket, as every soldier I cast will remind me of my brother. If I can paint a tiny patch on some of a Scottie dog, it will really be a connection, as that is emblazoned on the side of the plane.

I like to think that they are part of an experimental cadre of soldiers from the interwar period, specifically chosen to practice taking down enemy airships via boarding action. Airships which, of course, have taken over the skies and now dominate warfare. Of course these airships are much larger than those of old, and one solution to the problem is boarding parties of rocket troops for when the armor is too thick for the bi-planes to pierce!

My figure prepped for molding. I’ve added wire at the extended leg and bayonet (added because they are neat and far more dashing to threaten an enemy airship captain with than just a rifle) to allow for air escapes so the the resin will fill in the tiny spaces. I’m nervous and excited to try and probably fail at my first attempt. And that’s ok! It’s going to be fun no matter what.

Below is an article on rockets in case y’all think I’m crazy regarding rocket troops. During the interwar period many were researching rockets’ use for space travel, so it’s not too much of a stretch to imagine them saying “here Hugo, use this to attack the zeppelin!”


Speaking of biplanes, I also picked up a biplane model. I will probably get another to paint up differently. In this world I’m working on, the pilots are like knights, and the livery on their planes is like the barding  of their horses! Heraldry is displayed as these knights take to the sky while their Yeomen and neo-feudal serfs take on the role of infantrymen.


I wanted to repaint it originally, but I really love the stock colors. I may pick up a second one in the future to paint from scratch.

Comments

  1. Nice stuff here. I like the Fokker D7 (I think that's what it is), and the Rocketeer-style figure is inspiring. I too remember that film with fondness; I must go looking for it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Rocketeer figures, full of potential. I look forward to seeing what you do with him…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment