Thoughts and Paint and Putty

I got some green stuff for sculpting. I haven’t done much with it yet, but one of my hobby goals for this year is to sculpt a miniature myself, from scratch. I really fell in love with one of my Mirliton SG figures I got for my birthday, and I think I want to make a knight with a frog-mouth helm.

My aforementioned Mirliton Knight.

The year is young, however, and I started off my green stuff journey by kitbashing together a custom knight I’m working on. His top and bottom halves needed some filler to make him the right height, and I sculpted a rudimentary visor for him as well. Baby steps, I’ll get there.

Once he’s got his arms and I paint him up, we’ll see how nice I can make him look. I’m pretty happy for my first work with the stuff though, especially as I was using the weird spare section in the center of the yellow and blue strips to make it. I didn’t want to waste it and it worked fine as the waist filler—even if it wasn’t optimal for the visor.

Finally, a quick thought that is entirely the opinion of a VERY tired father who was mildly disappointed at the complexity of a ruleset from a cursory glance:

~From my notebook ramblings~

“If you’re going to name a game after fantasy monsters it needs to be mechanically brutal and brutish, artistically campy, and thematically silly. If you name a war game [Insert Basic Grubby Monster Name], I want rusty chainmail, instant grimy death for my monsters, lots of d6’s tossed and altar of Doritos on the board.”

I wrote the above while at work, contemplating my very likely unfair and unnecessary assessment of a set of rules I looked over while falling asleep and being woken up repeatedly by children, so take it with a shaker of salt. I think it distilled a bit of what I want in a game that is missing at the moment. Monsters.

Not Godzilla, or Dracula, but just basic fantasy chum bucket monsters thrashing each other with one hit bring one kill and nobody getting their feelings hurt because they’re just ugly little monsters. I want trolls guarding bridges while giants throw boulders and we knock over the cheap little toys rather than gently removing them from the board. Maybe I’ve been spending too much time with my 3 year old?!

In a similar spirit, I also started drafting a new project to share a burner with many other projects:

FROG-MOUTH

Forgive the attempt at fun metal-album font! Staring at my minis on my desk and longing for beer and pretzels game play is stirring something within me, clearly, and that’s what Frog-Mouth will be. Named after the (over-mentioned, “just shut up about it already”, totally neat and impractical) jousting helmet, it’s going to be a game of knights running around on foot bashing each other and throwing down in the mud. They may even have some lackeys join in with some crossbows (because what sane peasant is getting near on of those lunatics?).

A note I made on it was “clobbers and quarrels” which boils down the essence. It’s also an unintentional play on words, since quarrel is a term for crossbow bolts—which is what I was thinking of when I wrote it— but also, obviously the term for fighting.

It may just end up another unfinished project, but that’s okay. Because this is a hobby and that’s what it is: a project, not a product.

Comments

  1. I do like the way you have begun experimenting with the green stuff and that you have set yourself a goal. It is fun to plan and muse about the hobby ( whether you take notes or just keep them in your head) and l enjoyed reading your ideas. The creative nature of our his so important and offers distraction and diversion which we all need at times. The knight you were given looks great .
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frog-Mouth sounds like my sort of game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fun, I was developing something in a similar vein and d6es with a set target number of 5 did the trick. Back to Your conversion - Your fingers weren't wet enough to work with green stuff. What I usually do is to knead it, leave it for 15-20 min and then start doing my thing once the initial sticky situation is resolved. All the best

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment