Math for Combat

 It’s been almost 2 months since I last posted. A lot has been happening in life and I haven’t had time, etc. 

But today I did some fun math and I might work this into a game, possibly as optional rules for Minceheim to make combat interesting, and I think I may work it into a small RPG for fun if I find time. Please see my preliminary hit-location chart below:

On the left, we have the dice roll on 2d6, followed by percent chance, location, and what armor covers that location. Lt is Light Armor, Md is Medium, Hv is Heavy. Obviously I could assign actual armor to them but this is a concept. Perhaps Armor saves are only made if the location hit is protected? Perhaps certain weapons could be considered “Armor Piercing” for certain grades of armor?

It might make things too complex or clunky if used wrong, but it might make combat more spicy if used right. I think if I used it in an RPG system, there would be no “Hit Points” like most. I’d try to do some weird “abstract-simulationism” or something and make a streamlined process that is very deadly. We’ll see what the future holds between moving and playing games of Frostgrave with my daughter!

Also, I got some new hobby things with a gift card and I want to show off this figure. He’s an “undead champion knight” by the defunct Heartbreaker Hobbies. I fell in love with the sculpt and am excited to make him a harrowing villain in games to come!

A frontal view of the figure prior to base.

The reverse of the mini.

Clearly, he needs a name like Count Mordstein or the Barbarous Bloody Blade-wielding Baron.

Comments

  1. A suitable baddy indeed, who looks like he means business. Good to see you planning in the midst of everything. I look forward to seeing this figure painted and hearing more of your gaming plans…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice figure, perfect for some skirmish action in Frostgrave or other

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He’s definitely going to feature in many a skirmish!!!

      Delete
  3. I've just picked up Frostgrave and am slowly reading it. Need to get back to Minceheim. I think I'd rather go for a Mordheimish post-game "injury roll," especially for purposes of campaigns, and a d6 roll if rolls in-game are required. 1=head, 2-torso,3-6= arms and legs.

    Need to try Minceheim again, especially now I've got a little more terrain to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the 1d6 method, definitely. I love Frostgrave’s post-game injury chart as well, it’s 1d20. I went for the 2d6 with this table to because of the fun of the bell curve. I should start posting some of the scenarios for Frostgrave on here that I’ve made to play cooperatively with my daughter! I think Frostgrave is a great game to play with kids (especially if you do the prep work) because the math is simple and it’s got a good mix of danger and power-trip that kids enjoy in games.

      Delete

Post a Comment