PocketManor: A Time Killer!

This week I got inspired by the non-combat tabletop Discord group, and wanted to make a cozy little game with my 15mm peasants and knights. But…then I accidentally made a little game with no minis (all you need is grid paper, a six-sided die, and a pencil), and also something reminiscent of combat (land-grabbing and Vikings). It’s a diversion that is barely worthy of the term “game”, but it could be the skeleton of something worth more, one day.

 PocketManor


1. Place Manorhouse, roll 1d6 each for starting stores and gold 

2. Roll for 9 squares around Manor


1

Overgrown, Wilds

2-6

Arable land


3. For arable land, roll for tenant


1-4

Villein/Serf (V)

5-6

Freemen (F)


*V lands produce 1d6 crops per harvest, F lands produce 1d6 gold


4. Turns divided into 4 seasons


Spring

Roll for land arability; only roll V/F for new squares

Summer

Pick an adjacent hex and attempt to annex it*

Fall

Harvest, build towers**.

Winter

Subtract 1 crop from Store for each square owned and 1d6 for manor house. Crops may be purchased on a 1:1 basis for gold. Any squares not fed will be unusable for 5 turns. Dane invasion***.


*contested roll against other manor lord: if higher, claim adjacent square, if lower: lose square from which attack came. Cross it off until you are able to reclaim it. Annexing costs 1 gold per attempt, and the land does not produce harvest in the following fall, but you must still provide crops to feed its inhabitants. The manor house cannot be lost, but its inhabitants will starve if they don’t have food for winter.


**During Fall, you may build a tower on a square for 10 gold. Squares with towers gain +1 to their rolls against Dane invasions.


***Every winter roll 1d6, on a 1, Danes will attempt to conquer lands. Roll contested rolls for each exterior square. If lower, square is lost, roll for next interior square. Roll with +2 advantage for Manor House square. 


If the Manor ever starves or is captured, the game has been lost.

Comments

  1. Most interesting. I too frequent the Non Combat discord group. I am glad you find it interesting. I think pocket manor has the makings of something even more interesting. Keep working at it..
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the hope. I find that I often have weird random spells where I have time to use, and free mental space to think; having a pocket journal seems to help me throw down ideas quickly and flesh them out later.

      Delete
  2. Great start - I'm already thinking how I could use painted 1" squares as tiles for this game!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Similar to what I mentioned to Mark, the 3x3 portable Wargame squares could be great for a 3D representation. Especially with a peasant on each farm square and a nice little tower or house on the Manor square. It’d be a true tabletop game then!

      Delete
  3. A very interesting diversion, at least. I'll certainly try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s likely going to give me a few minutes of joy on an upcoming flight, and I may add something of more depth to it while I’m trying to distract myself from the flying.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting, I'll give it a try, could be a nice campaign system for wargames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same. I thought of replacing the annexing and Dane invasions with actual battles using Chainmail or any other system. The portable Wargame is also square-based, so it might fit nicely! Making adjoining manors led by neighboring nobles would be another useful piece of a campaign.

      Delete
    2. Could be a nice add on to a solo DnD campaign for high level characters or to generate events for the campaign like Pendragon.

      Delete

Post a Comment