Father’s Day Fun

I am blessed, my girls gave me wonderful gifts for Father’s Day, all the essentials. An arming cap, a handmade sword, a pocket journal (that will soon be used in my latest project), and a copy of a little booklet I found on Amazon: Dad’s Game.

Dad’s Game is no more than 40 pages, but it’s a scanned copy of the rules that Patrick and Earl Boal used to play their war games. They are presented as an artifact, playable if you’d like, but more intended as an insight into the past. At a hefty $3 I was entranced and happened to add it to a list and then get distracted, but my wife is the best. 

I fully intend on playing this son’s tribute to his father. Even better, it’s got rules for almost everything, as the author says “my father and I were not too fussy about mixing troop types from different periods, and happily fielded longbows to battle musketeers and elephants). 

How much of our joy is lost because we don’t dare ignore reality in our games of toy soldiers? It’s been greatly encouraging to me to see that note, as I paint up some Landsknechts that have little place among my Normans and Knights of the Round Table. Maybe I should get an elephant or too as well, and a handful of musketeers…

Happy belated Father’s Day to all reading.

Comments

  1. Thoughtful and lovely gifts.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.s forgot to say I ordered a copy.

      Delete
  2. How lovely! I will definitely check out those rules, they sound right up my alley. You are a very lucky parent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you are back! Any game can be enhanced with war elephants, or maybe mammoths in northern climes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment